One of the oldest buildings in Western New York, the Williamsville Mill is a circa 1820's heavy timber mill structure that has served as a lumber, grain, cement and apple cider mill at times over its two century history. It has always been the historic centerpiece of the Village of Williamsville. The Village bought the Mill out of foreclosure in 2005 and has been working toward a comprehensive redevelopment and restoration of the historic parts of the site since that time.
In early 2010, Flynn Battaglia was hired to create a redevelopment plan to make the mill complex commercially viable in the future and to manage the restoration of the mill using grant funding. The firm created a schematic design for a set of potential infill buildings at the site, as well as for a new pedestrian-oriented Village Square fronting the Mill. Then, FBA worked with the Village to complete a two-phase restoration project that included removal of dilapidated non-historic additions, structural repairs to the heavy timber frame, window restoration, siding repairs, and re-roofing with wood shingles. After the restoration was complete, the Village was able to sell the Mill to a private owner who has revitalized it as a community destination and returned it to the tax rolls.
Completed: Summer 2015