The National Women’s Hall of Fame has significantly outgrown its current space on Fall Street in Seneca Falls, NY. Flynn Battaglia Architects was invited by the Hall of Fame to participate in a design competition to re-vision the grounds of the historic Seneca Falls Knitting Mill into the Center for Great Women. The Seneca Falls Knitting Mill was built in 1844 and operated continuously until 1999. It is listed as a contributing element of the Seneca Falls Village Historic District which was placed on the National Register in 1991. The design included a cohesive plan for the entirety of the grounds as well as rehabilitation and interior fit out of the Mill building and an addition to house the visitor center.
The design that we presented to the Board was based on connecting the grounds of the proposed Center for Great Women to the rest of the city of Seneca Falls, Sampson Creek and the historic sites at Declaration Park and Elizabeth Cady Stanton Park on the north side of the creek. There are three existing brick structures on the grounds that are in need of repair, our design intended on stabilizing these structures and creating a new architecture to welcome guests to the complex. Two axis of circulation meet in this entrance piece - one connects the parking areas through the entrance to the creek and the opposing axis features a pedestrian “Walk of Fame” that follows the creek. The latter axis continues through the interior fit out of the existing Mill structure - illustrated by a new monumental stair that cuts between the levels of the mill connecting the Hall of Fame Inductees to exhibit space and event space in the upper levels.
Center for Great Women
A Building Project for the National Women’s Hall of Fame
Seneca Falls, NY
Design Competition November 2014